Carb DM is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life and health for those with Type 1 Diabetes. They had hit up against the limits of their current WordPress.com hosted blog and were more than ready to move to a self-hosted WordPress site.
Carb DM needed a sophisticated event registration system for their many ongoing programs and events for which they charge a nominal fee. They also take donations online. With their new website, they were no longer paying third party online registration software or donation software fees. The new site’s registration system also allowed them to streamline their process.
An important request for their new website was the ability to reach out to those who were newly diagnosed as well as a variety of existing members of the T1D community from adults to families with young children.
What I did:
- Saved them money by eliminating the use of Giving Fuel donation processing software and replacing with Gravity Forms plugin coupled with their existing PayPal account and eliminating the use of Event Spot (Constant Contact event registration) and replacing with Event Manager plugin with Gravity forms.
- Provided them with a highly customizable event management system.
- Replaced the booking function of the Event Manager plugin with Gravity Forms plugin to provide more sophisticated and flexible registration and donation forms.
- Designed a flexible, custom theme with extensive home page widgets to highlight programs and posts as needed.
- Optimized their site for mobile friendly layout and better mobile SEO.
- Created a home page that appeals to the full range of their targeted audience and makes it easy to find programs that match each visitor based on region, demographic or topic.
What the Founder and Executive Director said:
Geri Macomber volunteered to assist Carb DM with a full re-design of its website transitioning it from a free WordPress.com template to a fully customized WordPress.org website. Geri took the time to understand our needs, explore different options for meeting our needs, and researching the pros and cons of different tools that were available. Geri then did all the programming and implementation. The end result is a well designed site that has greatly improved our users’ experiences and enhances our web presence. From a workflow perspective, the new website streamlines the workflow so that it is much easier for us to maintain and keep it up to date at all times. We are grateful to Geri for her great contribution to Carb DM.